Music at Hanson School is taught at Key Stages 3 and 4. All students in Years 7 and 8 have an hour music lesson per week and at Yr 9 students can opt to continue music lessons. The department also runs a successful GCSE course at KS4.
To give all students at Hanson Academy the opportunity to learn to play, perform and compose music in a range of different styles. We aim to give students the highest level of music tuition in lessons and in extra-curricular activities.
Our more specific aims are:
- To give every student the opportunity to learn a musical instrument.
- To develop all students’ creativity by teaching them how to compose, create, arrange and interpret music.
- To enable all students to use a range of musical vocabulary
- To help students learn about and explore different types of music from around the globe.
- To encourage students to take part in extra-curricular music and performance by offering a broad range of activities to suit all abilities and interests.
- To build students’ confidence by creating safe and secure learning environments where they are happy to share their work and their achievements.
- To encourage students to build on their own musical experiences and give them the opportunities to create new ones.
- To impact on students’ learning in literacy and numeracy by focusing on literacy and numeracy through music in all lessons.
- To give all students the opportunity to make outstanding progress, regardless of their starting point.
- To pass onto students’ our passion for music so that students’ will develop their very own.